Anything Knitted and Crocheted

Welcome to my blog. I hope to blog about my knitting and crocheting as well as everyday life. The patterns that I post are original and as such there is copyright on them. When they are based on another pattern there is a link to the pattern.

My husband and I adopted a beautiful dog named Leo. He is a dachshund and absolutely adorable! we adopted him on June 23, 2010 and he has become the love of our lives.

I love to share patterns that I find along the way or to talk about some of the neatest designers that are out there today, so I love to post links to the designs or the designers.

So grab a cup a and sit and enjoy the blog.


Cora

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Finally instructions for CROCHETING an I-Cord instead os just knitting it!

Crochet Me: The Blog

Link to Crochet Me: The Blog

Crocheted I-cord

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 08:22 AM PDT

Where does the name I-cord come from? I contemplated that question as I began writing this blog. I never did find a good answer, so if you have any knowledge on this technique's origin, please do share. I would love to know.
I-cord
I have heard of at least 2 different ways of making I-cord, each with its own pro and cons. My mind is buzzing with uses for each.
The first method is accomplished by chaining a multiple of your choice and slip stitching in the first chain to form a ring. The number of chains you make will determine the circumference of you I-cord. The beauty of I-cord is that you can customize the circumference and work it in any stitch of your choice. If you wanted to work in double crochet, you could chain 2 and double crochet in each stitch around. Now you can work in a spiral, choosing to either mark the first stitch of the round or not, until the I-cord is the proper length. This method creates a hollow I-cord.
If, rather than chaining, you work a specific number of stitches into either an adjustable loop or a beginning crochet, you can create an I-cord this way as well. Work the I-cord as above.
A second method may not technically be I-cord but can be used in the same manner. This might be the easiest method. Chain to the length desired, turn, and slip stitch in each chain across. That's it; you're done.
Now, what do you do with the miles of I-cord you have just created? The possibilities are endless. They make great handles for bags and purses. Narrow I-cords work beautifully as ties or straps. Nicky Epstein has an entire section in her book Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments, and if you can do it with knitted I-cord you should be able to do it with crocheted I-cord: embellishments, edgings, Celtic knots, frog closures and more.
Best wishes,
Toni

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or concerns please direct them to craftygal1965{at}gmail.com. Any other comments please leave here. Please no external links, thank you.

Thank you

Cora Shaw (formerly Levesque)