Anything Knitted and Crocheted

Welcome to my blog. I hope to blog about my knitting and crocheting as well as everyday life. The patterns that I post are original and as such there is copyright on them. When they are based on another pattern there is a link to the pattern.

My husband and I adopted a beautiful dog named Leo. He is a dachshund and absolutely adorable! we adopted him on June 23, 2010 and he has become the love of our lives.

I love to share patterns that I find along the way or to talk about some of the neatest designers that are out there today, so I love to post links to the designs or the designers.

So grab a cup a and sit and enjoy the blog.


Cora

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Learn to Read Crochet Stitches...from Crochet Me

I absolutely love charts. It is nice to be able to see at a glance as to how a design is looking. I think that is why I love Robyn Chachula's designs, because of the charts. Take a look.

Cora


CrochetMe
.

Learn to Read Crochet Stitch Diagrams

Beach Sarong SwatchCrochet is a wonderfully creative process. Because you usually have only one working loop, you can work your next stitch in several different places. Of course, this marvelous feature can make writing or following crochet patterns a challenge. Any one stitch or action can be explained ten different ways (I know because I’ve seen many of them). And crochet definitions vary by country, so a designer from France explains things differently than a designer from, say, Michigan.

This is where a stitch diagram can reduce some of the confusion of written patterns. But first you have to know how to read a stitch diagram. Stitch diagrams use a picture to represent each stitch. These stitch pictures are arranged to illustrate the order of the stitches and their relationship to one another. Stitch diagrams cBeach Sarong Diagraman represent patterns worked in rows or in the round.

Stitch along with me, using the stitch diagram for the Beach Sarong from the Summer 2009 issue of Interweave Crochet. This project uses a fairly simple stitch diagram with a repeat. A stitch diagram is usually shown from only one side, generally the right side. When working in rows, read the right side rows of the stitch diagram from right to left and the wrong side rows from left to right. This method of following stitches back and forth can take a bit of getting used to. A simple trick I use is to always mark the right side of the project to help you remember whether you need to read right to left or left to right for your current row.

Once you can read stitch diagrams, you can create projects even if the directions are in a language you don’t understand. Many Japanese crochet books useStitch Key stitch diagrams for amigurumi and intricate thread work. I don’t read Japanese, but I can follow the stitch diagrams—provided I already know what stitch each symbol represents and how to form that stitch.

Stitch diagrams are accompanied by a stitch key, but usually not instructions on how to create the stitches. I find it handy to keep a stitch reference book handy. My go-to guide is the Crocheter’s Companion, which includes stitches ranging from single crochet to motifs to Tunisian, as well as finishing techniques and troubleshooting. Particularly helpful is an international stitch symbol chart that gives the British stitch terms, which are different from U.S. stitch terms.

Now, give working from stitch diagrams a whirl. Many patterns use a combination of both or provide both a stitch diagram and written instructions.

Best wishes,

Toni


Over on CrochetMe:
On the blog: Toni creates an ice dragon from a free pattern on CrochetMe’s pattern section.

On the Forums: Find a Crochet group in your hometown or list your own.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or concerns please direct them to craftygal1965{at}gmail.com. Any other comments please leave here. Please no external links, thank you.

Thank you

Cora Shaw (formerly Levesque)