Anything Knitted and Crocheted

Welcome to my blog. I hope to blog about my knitting and crocheting as well as everyday life. The patterns that I post are original and as such there is copyright on them. When they are based on another pattern there is a link to the pattern.

My husband and I adopted a beautiful dog named Leo. He is a dachshund and absolutely adorable! we adopted him on June 23, 2010 and he has become the love of our lives.

I love to share patterns that I find along the way or to talk about some of the neatest designers that are out there today, so I love to post links to the designs or the designers.

So grab a cup a and sit and enjoy the blog.


Cora

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Wow, nothing like getting stopped at the US border crossing....

for copyright infringement. Here is an interesting clip on it.
http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/the-colbert-report/full-episodes/december-3-2008/.

Here is a great article that explains it as well.

Published October 04, 2008 10:00 pm - Woman was detained by Customs and Border Protection because of an SUV sketch she made for artwork.

Keene artist had hard time getting back into US

Keene artist struggles to get back into US
http://www.pressrepublican.com/0100_news/local_story_278220015.html

By LOHR McKINSTRY
Staff Writer

KEENE VALLEY -- Keene Valley resident Jerilea Zempel was detained at the U.S. border this summer because she had a drawing of a sport-utility vehicle in her sketchbook.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers told Zempel they suspected her of copyright infringement.

She was released after more than an hour in custody at the Houlton, Maine, port of entry from New Brunswick, Canada.

Her release came only after she persuaded border guards she was an artist doing a project that involved a crocheted SUV as a statement against America's dependence on oil and love for big vehicles.

SHROUDED CAR

Zempel's adventure began when she was returning from the Cultural Capital Festival in Sackville, New Brunswick, where her submission was an SUV cozy on a rented Hyundai Santa Fe.

"I wanted to turn an oversize, macho, gas-guzzling vehicle into a technological ghost by shrouding it in a white, fuzzy cover reminiscent of women's handiwork from another time, another place."

After the festival, Zemple headed for home in her own Toyota Prius hybrid and stopped at the border crossing on Interstate 95 in Maine.

"What happened when I re-entered the U.S. made me ponder what my lowly art project could mean in a larger political sphere.

"And it gave me an idea for a title: the Homeland Security Blanket."

SEARCH AT BORDER

Zempel's passport showed she'd been to Africa, Australia, Central and South America, Mexico, Turkey and Europe in the last nine years.

"U.S. citizens who've traveled to the places I've been need to be looked at. A half hour at the computer gave the agent cause to put me into another suspicious category, meriting a full car search. She (the agent) took my keys and went through my car.

"After going through my (laptop) computer, digital camera, cell phone, business cards, suitcase, reading materials, boxes of yarn and crochet tools, she returned with my sketchbook.

"I was taken to a room and told to sit on a bench with handcuffs at both ends. But they did not handcuff me."





This is Jerilea Zempel-s pen-and-ink sketch that border agents suspected might constitute copyright infringement.
Photo Provided










Jerilea Zempel of Keene Valley sits in the Toyota hybrid she was driving when U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents detained her for having a cartoon drawing of a sport-utility vehicle. She was apparently mistaken for an industrial spy. Staff Photo/Lohr McKinstry









The "Homeland Security Blanket" is the title of this work by Keene Valley artist Jerilea Zempel. After Zempel was detained by U.S. border guards for having a sketch of the project she decided to give it a new name. Photo Provided


Cora



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or concerns please direct them to craftygal1965{at}gmail.com. Any other comments please leave here. Please no external links, thank you.

Thank you

Cora Shaw (formerly Levesque)