Anything Knitted and Crocheted

Welcome to my blog. I hope to blog about my knitting and crocheting as well as everyday life. The patterns that I post are original and as such there is copyright on them. When they are based on another pattern there is a link to the pattern.

My husband and I adopted a beautiful dog named Leo. He is a dachshund and absolutely adorable! we adopted him on June 23, 2010 and he has become the love of our lives.

I love to share patterns that I find along the way or to talk about some of the neatest designers that are out there today, so I love to post links to the designs or the designers.

So grab a cup a and sit and enjoy the blog.


Cora

Monday, August 24, 2009

Another Technique for Finishing: Crochet Edging


KnittingDaily.com

Another Technique for Finishing: Crochet Edging

A note from Kathleen: My main craft is knitting, but several years ago I took a crochet class because I expected that I might like that craft, too. And I do enjoy crocheting, especially for items like baby blankets—it's simply so much faster than knitting. What I didn't expect was that knowing how to crochet could bring so much to my knitting. I use crochet skills all the time; the crab stitch (sometimes called the "shrimp stitch" or "backwards single crochet") is a lovely finishing stitch for necklines and the front edges of cardigan sweaters. The edging options are endless, really—just check out the array of crocheted edging resources out there!

Here's Marcy Smith, editor of Interweave Crochet, to share a perfect crochet-ending to a knitting story.

Marcy SmithRescuing a UFO with Crochet

Maybe you're not like me. Maybe your gauge is always spot on and the vision you have for your garment works perfectly.

Maybe you don't have a box of false starts and “Good golly, what was I thinking?” portions of garments. Maybe you don't have things that are too big / too small / just plain unwearable.

Well, I've got them. And when I finally admit that the thing just isn't working, sometimes I rip it back to a ball right away. And sometimes I stuff it in the Denial Drawer. Deep inside. And the balance is again tipped between unfinished objects (UFOs) and finished objects (FOs).

Simple Shell EdgingA recent Feng Shui unearthed a vast expanse of knitted purple fabric that I recalled, after a moment, wanted to be a guernsey back in the day. It was HUGE. But the texture is intriguing and I can see why I didn't rip it back to its essence. It would make a good kid-size blanket, if it were jazzed up a bit. It was time to remedy the balance: this UFO could become an FO, with a little help.

Now, I like knitting as much as the next fiber gal, but I Do. Not. Like. To. Pick. Up. Stitches. Especially a gazillion stitches around the edge of a thing that I don't like all that much anymore. Given that option, I'd just as soon stuff it back in the Denial Drawer. But there's a better solution, one that is accessible to anyone who loves all things yarny: crochet.

That's right. Crochet. With crochet, you work with just one stitch at a time, creating the edge as you work around. And it doesn't really matter how many stitches you make, so long as they look pretty even when you're done. And when you're done, you're done. You don't have to bind off a gazillion stitches. Just one.

To finish my blanket, I used the Simple Shell Edging from The Harmony Guides: Crochet Edgings and Trims, hot off the press. This book will guide even the most novice crocheter through the process. The Simple Shell Edging is a two-row edging, with the first being a base row of single crochet.

Because the edges of my knitted swath are pretty even and stable, I was able to make it even simpler: I eliminated the base row. So I just commenced crocheting green shells around the purple swath until my UFO became an FO—just a different FO. (To see the specifics of where I decided to put my hook when making the edge, check out the blog on CrochetMe.)

And now all is harmonious: I have one less item in my stash of “good gollies” and Project Linus has one more item in its stash of blankets.

While many of you already subscribe to Interweave Knits, now is a great time to add Interweave Crochet to your tool box. Get a free trial issue of Interweave Crochet and discover more fabulous edging ideas, amazing sweater patterns, expert tips, and more. We're on the front lines of the crochet revolution and we'd love to have you jo

Best,

Marcy
Editor, Interweave Crochet

Kathleen Cubley
Kathleen Cubley
is the editor of
Knitting Daily.

Kathleen's Knit-a-Long

We’re knitting the ever popular Central Park Hoodie. I’m using Tahki Donegal Tweed in pink. Join us in the Central Park Hoodie KAL forum and share tips, tricks, and photos of your progress. If you need the pattern, find it in the fall 2006 issue of Knitscene, or buy it from the Interweave Store.


Boteh Scarf

Infinity Wrap


More at
Knitting Daily
Blogs
Forums
Galleries
Free Patterns

Voted Best Crochet Magazine

We are pleased to announce that Interweave Crochet was voted the 2008 Best Crochet Magazine.Award Winning Issues

Every issue of Interweave Crochet is packed wtih fresh new designs. There is something to suit every taste and skill level. Whether you love classic or contemporary projects you'll find yourself turning to Interweave Crochet first.

Inside every issue you’ll find...

• More than 18 fresh new designs

• Techniques, tricks and tips designed to improve your crochet projects

• In-depth yarn reviews help you understand an old favorite or help you find a new one

• Artist profiles that are sure to inspire

• Every project includes gorgeous photos from a variety of angles to help you chose your next project

Find out for yourself what all of the buzz is about. Get a FREE TRIAL ISSUE of Interweave Crochet Today.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or concerns please direct them to craftygal1965{at}gmail.com. Any other comments please leave here. Please no external links, thank you.

Thank you

Cora Shaw (formerly Levesque)